Interior design trends are seeing a resurgence of the use of wallpaper. Contrary to popular belief, wallpaper isn’t about the heavily bordered floral patterns of the past. Today’s wallpapers are textured and geometric, many making it look as though you had a faux finish on your walls.
Benefits of Decorating with Wallpaper
- Wallpaper is simple. Matching a wallpaper with your existing wall color or decor is easy with the plethora of options on the market. From graining to marble, architectural molding, and even glass beading, finding a wallpaper that suits your style.
- Wallpaper is easy to maintain. With today’s technology, wallpapers are washable and wipe-able. This makes them an excellent option for families with young kids!
Where to Decorate with Wallpaper
While you can use wallpaper wherever you’d like, these are some of the most common ways to use it around the home.
- In the Powder Room. This is a space your guests will most likely visit, so why not wow them by making a statement! Wallpaper the ceiling of a powder room to make an impression on your guests. Many of the new textures look fabulous on the ceiling. Use a textured copper finish for a warm, rustic look, or a swirling neutral pattern to give your bathroom an extra layer of dimension.
- Around the Fireplace. Your fireplace is a focal point that can sometimes get lost in the flow of a room. Reignite the spark and add emphasis to your hearth by installing wallpaper above or around it. Large prints that repeat work best in this setting, so focus on prints with patterns that are 6 inches or larger.
- As an Accessory. Many homeowners forget to think about the unique ways in which you can use wallpaper in their home decor. Consider it an accessory and use it to dress up kitchen cabinets or living room bookshelves. Metallic wallpapers make for a stunning accessory anywhere in the home.
- To Hide Flawed Walls. Wallpaper is a great tool for masking those walls in your home that have seen better days. Consider covering the walls in kid’s playrooms or the basement with decorative wallpaper. Whether these walls are littered with dents, scratches, or markings, wallpaper is an easy and affordable way to cover those mishaps.
- Around the Dining Room. Your dining room should be an intimate setting where a warm glow of light shining on a textured wall will give the room the ambiance you want your guests to experience while dining. Gone are the days of ivy and floral and borders in the dining area; instead, mix it up and try a textured paper and wait for your guests to be wowed!
Fear not! Wallpaper is back and better than ever in the world of home design. Not sure where to get started with wallpaper? Contact Marva Don Card, an Eagle interior decorator.